Sunday 6 July 2014

Summer Begins in Earnest ...


I'm sitting on a rooftop in Istanbul, which they tell me overlooks the Grand Bazaar. Not much to see here at 11pm, but I'll take their word for it.

With my obligations to my employer fulfilled, my possessions stored safely in Ankara, and my family enjoying a beachside holiday on Bulgaria's Black Sea Coast, I'm off to my usual summer job in Finland. However, just to keep things interesting, I decided not to fly direct from Istanbul. Instead, I bought a ticket to Helsinki from Sarajevo.

The distance between my flat on Bilkent University's East Campus and Sarajevo International Airport is approximately 2,200kms. I'll have to cover that distance if I want to make my flight - but I've got almost two weeks to do it, so there should be some time to squeeze in an adventure or two along the way.

In other words, it's road trip time again :-)

So far I've done the following:

Ankara to Eskişehir: 226kms (high-speed train)
Eskişehir to Bursa: 164kms (bus)
Bursa to Mudanya: 26kms (bus & metro)
Mudanya to Istanbul: 87kms (ferry)

That means I've only got 1,697kms to go!

With some of the 'hard miles' out of the way, tomorrow I'm crossing into Bulgaria, where the adventure should begin. Among other things, I'm gonna go and find myself a Communist Flying Saucer on top of a mountain. Should be fun :-)

No doubt you'll hear more from me soon ...

See you :-)

Anthony.

No comments:

Post a Comment